Across the Planet Young People are Mobilizing
“I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is.”
16 year – old Greta Thunberg at Davos – January 2019
Towards a Co-operative CommonWealth:
Transition in a Perilous Century
Towards Co-operative CommonWealth is a free, eight-week online course offered by Synergia Institute and Athabasca University that sets out the practical models and pathways for meaningful systems change at multiple levels. The goal: to better secure our basic needs in these increasingly difficult times.
The course is a master class in movement building for a new model of political economy that is sustainable, democratic, and socially just. It is suitable for newcomers to social change work as well as veteran activists, practitioners, policy-makers, and researchers. Individuals on their own and people working for social change through organizations, networks, and movements can leverage the course material and the expertise of the Synergia team to advance their own projects and activist work locally.
Part 1 – Four Weeks starting March 25
1. Framing the Journey: Capitalism, Planetary Limits & The Struggle to Restore & Share our Common Wealth
2. Stewarding Land & Resources for the Common Good
3. Ecological Resilience & a Just Food System
4. Precarious Livelihoods: Pathways to Solidarity
Part 2 – Four Weeks starting May 20
5. Democratizing Social Care: From Welfare State to Caring Society
6. Democratic Ownership: Pathways to a Resilient Energy Future
7. Democratic Financing Solutions for the Great Transition
8. Synthesis: Building the Politics for Systems Change
Following the course, feedback from the Synergia team will be available for three weeks to promote application of course ideas & models to your own projects or work.
The Synergia MOOC offers a certificate of completion and three graduate credits applicable to Athabasca University’s MA Interdisciplinary Studies in the Community Studies or Global Change streams of the degree. The course is free at the certificate level. The cost of degree accreditation is $269 CAD.
To register: canvas.net
For further information on the MOOC, contact: Mike Lewis, [email protected]
For updates, follow us on our Facebook page