*Book: Fuchs, Christian. 2015. Culture and Economy in the Age of Social Media. New York: Routledge. 424 pages.
This book applies Raymond Williams’ approach of Cultural Materialism to critically analyse cultural labour, digital labour, ideology, politics, democracy, the public sphere, globalisation, social media in China, the international division of digital labour, productive labour, and social struggles in the age of digital capitalism.
PART I: Theoretical Foundations
2. Christian Fuchs and Marisol Sandoval: Culture and Work
3. Communication, Ideology, and Labour
PART II: Social Media?s Cultural Political Economy of Time
4. Social Media and Labour Time
5. Social Media and Productive Labour
PART III: Social Media?s Cultural Political Economy of Global Space
6. Social Media?s International Division of Digital Labour
7. Baidu, Weibo, and Renren: The Global Political Economy of Social Media in China
PART IV: Alternatives
8. Social Media and the Public Sphere