We received the following message from South Korea, where the new proposed Free Trade agreement with the U.S. would represent an unprecedented assault against social innovation and free culture.
Sent by Kim Jeong Woo of the Korean Progressive Network ‘Jinbonet‘
Email at [email protected]
The full text of Korea US FTA was openned, last Friday.
But it has many poisonous articles there.
Especially we are very worried about the IPR chapter and its confirmation letters. They have very dangerous things which the former US FTA didn’t have.
For examples, the both governments agree on the objective of shutting down the internet sites that permit unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or transmission of copyright works.
Korean government shutting down even P2P service and webhard service. And it also includes strong enforcements activities such as enforcement on book printing on university campuses.
If this Korea US FTA is passed, then the US will request other countries to include these things in the following FTA. So it needs to have international solidarity activities to stop this kind of US FTA.
Please check below and we welcome your comments, criticizing opinions or statement to this IP chapter of Korea US FTA. And please forward it to other people world-wide.
Korean Alliance Against the Korea-U.S. FTA and social organizations will have a press conference about the problem of IPR chapter of Korea US FTA on May 28th.
Confirmation letter (Online Piracy Prevention)
– Full text – http://www.mofat.go.kr/mofat/fta/eng/e45.pdf
* The Parties agree on the objective of shutting down Internet sites that permit the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or transmission of copyright works, of regularly assessing and actively seeking to reduce the impact of new technological means for committing online copyright piracy, and of providing generally for more effective enforcement of intellectual property rights on the Internet.
* Korea also agrees on the objective of shutting down Internet sites that permit the unauthorized downloading (and other forms of piracy) of copyright works, including so-called webhard services, and providing for more effective enforcement of intellectual property rights on the Internet, including in particular with regard to peer-to-peer (p2p) services.
* Korea will work to prevent, investigate, and prosecute internet piracy. In doing so, Korea will work with the private sector, the other Party, and other foreign authorities.
Confirmation letter (Promoting Protection and Effective Enforcement of Copyrighted works on University Campuses)
– Full text – http://www.mofat.go.kr/mofat/fta/eng/e46.pdf
* The Parties recognize the importance of preventing illegal copying and distribution of copyrighted works on university campuses and providing effective enforcement against book piracy. Therefore, consistent with Korea’s May 2004 Master Plan for IPR, Korea agrees to continue to increase its efforts to improve awareness of copyright infringement activities and book piracy on university campuses and reduce illegal reproduction and distribution of copyrighted works.
The Full text of IP Chapter is at http://www.mofat.go.kr/mofat/fta/eng/e43.pdf